Without a Will

Premier Package:

Cost Effective Will

demoOur "Premier" package is our most cost effective Will solution. Having completed the questionnaire and made your secure payment, your Will can be downloaded and printed. A full Will "commentary" is provided to explain the content of your Will in plain English, and full signing instructions are included. Read more..

Superior Package:

Your Will Checked

demoIf you select our Superior package, before you print your Will, our team will check the document to ensure that it is error free and that everything is in order. When your Will has been thoroughly checked we will send you an email to confirm and you will given access to download and print your Will from our secure server. read more..

Superior Plus:

Will Checked & Bound

superior-plusAs an alternative to just printing your Will at home, with the "Superior Plus" Will package, in addition to all the benefits of our "Superior" package, we will professionally print your Will on high quality paper and securely bind the document with "tamper proof" rivets. Your Will document will be posted to you direct via RM 1st Class Recorded delivery. PLUS FREE BONUS read more..

Intestacy - To Die "Intestate"

If you are without a Will, you are certainly not alone - far from it! Only around 15% of the adult population have actually made a Will. An individual who dies without a Will is known as having died "Intestate", and what many people are not aware of is the fact that if you die without a valid Will, it is the Government who decides, according to "Law of Intestacy", where, to whom and in what shares your worldly belongings should go.

Quite literally, because the Government determines who inherits your estate, this invariably means that your spouse might end up sharing your wealth with your children or your parents or even with your brothers and sisters. In reality this could mean that your husband or wife has to share your estate with a family member whom you never intended to inherit! Worse still, if you don't have a valid Will or any relatives when you die, everything you own could go to the Crown!

If you are neither married nor in a Civil Partnership, but living as "partners" unfortunately, in most cases, it means that without a will your partner may get nothing at all - it is worthy of note that a "common-law" spouse is not recognised under the Law of Intestacy. Furthermore, if you die without a Will, your loved ones will face a significant delay before they can inherit your estate whilst the "Laws of Intestacy" are invoked. This is sometimes referred to as "Probate delay".

Laws of Intestacy for England and Wales

If the individual dies intestate, without a Will:

If the individual dies without a Will, leaving: Who inherits what
A spouse or civil partner but no children The spouse or civil partner will inherit everything absolutely
A spouse or civil partner and children

Spouse or civil partner inherits personal chattels (personal effects). Plus £250,000 absolutely plus one-half of the residuary Estate.

The children share the other half of the residual Estate on reaching age 18, with the inheritance being administered on Statutory Trust until that time.

Spouse or civil partner, no children. Spouse or civil partner takes inherits all of the Estate.
No spouse or civil partner Everything is taken by the children; but if none: The grandchildren step into the shoes of their parents; but if none: Parents; but if none: Brothers and sisters of the whole blood ; but if none: Brothers and sisters of the half blood; but if none: Grandparents in equal shares; but if none: Uncles and aunts of the whole blood; but if none: Uncles and aunts of the half blood.
No relatives If there are none of the above relatives the Crown takes all.


Obtaining Probate Without a Will

When a person dies without having made a valid Will, somebody still has to deal with the deceaseds estate. Their duties will include accounting for all the property, possessions and cash the deceased person may have owned and also their responsibilities will include repaying any debts owed, including inheritance tax due and then distributing what is left to those people who are legally entitled to inherit under the Laws of Intestacy.

In order to ascertain the information required with regard to the deceaseds assets and liabilities, the personal representative of the deceased will need to obtain authority to do this by obtaining a legal document called a Grant of Representation from the Probate Registry. This Grant of Representation is known as Letters of Administration which are issued when the deceased has either not made a Will, or the Will they had made is invalid for whatever the reason.

Under the Data Protection Act, before organisations such as banks, building societies or investment houses that hold cash or investments in the deceaseds name can disclose any information to a third party, they need to know exactly whom the information can be imparted to and to whom the money should be paid. The Grant of Representation acts as official proof that the person named in it has the Authority to act on the deceaseds behalf.